Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Make It Artsy...

In the whirlwind of the holidays, I was remiss in posting about something really cool that happened!  Back in June, I ran into Kathie Stull of KS Productions at a luncheon in Milwaukee.  I met her when I did a few segments for the TV show, Beads, Baubles and Jewels.  She's really an amazing woman who has championed a lot of craft-based public television.  We got to chatting and she told me about a new show that they were working on called, Make It Artsy.  She mentioned that she would like to have me come on as a guest.  You never really know how things are going to pan out and I sort of mentally filed it away.  A few months later, she contacted me again and asked if I was still interested!  I jumped at the opportunity!

My background is in fine arts and it was nice to circle back around and showcase some of my mixed media skills.  I ended up filming two segments and one mini-segment.  In one segment, I showed how to create a resin book cover.  In another, I go over creating fabric books that are ideal for swapping, collaborating and trading.  In the mini-segment, I briefly talk about creating a mini-book out of fabric, using old artwork.  I had a really great time.  I always admire the hard work that goes into creating shows like these.  Everyone is so dedicated and I applaud the KS Productions team for everything they put into making quality how-to TV.

Above is a picture of me drilling the resin book cover with a Proxxon drill press.  I love it!  It even smells like a quality machine.  It's so precise and I love that the size is perfect for detailed work and doesn't take up a huge footprint in the studio.

I get asked all the time what resin I use and I have to admit that I have a love affair with the fast-cast resin by Amazing Casting Products by Alumilite.  I'm a smitten kitten with it!  It's sturdy, takes detail great, doesn't have a lot of air bubbles, and best of all... it sets up FAST!  When I'm working on production, the fact that it can demold in 10 minutes really is amazing!  I can really crank out pieces easily and quickly.  I also love that they have wonderful ways to add color!  They have dyes and Alumidust, which is finely ground metallic powdered pigments.  Plus, they have mold putties that are great.  They've got a nice pliability, a healthy working time (where you don't feel super rushed), and capture details beautifully.

To finish off the book cover, I used alcohol inks from Ranger.  I love the rich, saturated colors and their color palettes.  I like that the colors are more earthy and less technicolor.

With the fabric books, I was lucky enough to work with a lovely group of artists.  Not to spoil the episode, but the idea is that all the artists create a group of pages and then they swap with other artists and the books can be easily put together to form a mini-collection.  On the show, we also featured the work of Kecia Deveney and Lynne Suprock.  Other artists who participated are Kelly Russell and Gaea Cannaday and a few others!  So exciting!

The episodes will air in 2017 and I'll be sure to update folks before they come on and when they can see them air and where they can see them!

As an added bonus, Cynthia was filming at the same time and we spent time in the green room catching up.  We had a fun group in the green room!  Susan Lenart Kazmer was there, as well as Mystele Kirkeeng, Joe Rotella, Rae Missigman, and Mary Hettmansperger.  It was nice to finally meet Julie Fei-Fan Balzer.  She's very focused and is a powerhouse of energy!

Here are some candid shots in the green room:
Cynthia Thornton (my sister), Susan Lenart Kazmer, and me.

Mystele Kirkeeng and me!

Julie Fei-Fan Balzer and me (with Kecia Deveney's calendar).

Me playing with the Proxxon drill (again)!


1 comment:

Shai Williams said...

Sounds like you had a blast!